Friday, May 25, 2007

First Stings

Well the feeding jar was empty today and I was too lazy to go get the bee helmet and dress appropriately. So I walked out with shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops and went to the front of the hive and pulled the feeding jar out. I would have gotten away with it but the lid of the jar had a dozen bees on it. When I pulled it out they got a little upset and two of them stung me on the legs. It was interesting in that they did not sting immediately so I thought they would fly off but they didn't. Sure enough they left the stinger in me so I walked back to the house and wiped the stingers out. Not really much pain at all and no swelling so good to know I am not allergic to the stings.

I plan to open the hive tomorrow for a brief inspection with my son. It will be his first time close to bees.

No comments: